The house of the mill bakery comes from Bodenbach in the Westerwald and was built in 1659. There it was dismantled by head miller Erwin and his milling team in order to then rebuild it in Birgel 1: 1. This was also the first historical building that was added to the existing 700-year-old flour mill on the mill site.
In the wood-fired bakery there are two old ovens that are only fired with wood.
We bake a natural sourdough bread according to grandma’s recipe. Natural sourdough is prepared by our mill baker herself and cultivated for 7 days. Then the approach is used to knead the finished dough, consisting of 70% wheat or spelled flour and 30% sourdough (rye flour) into a loaf of bread. The special taste comes from the sourdough, but also from the wood-burning oven. A popular product in German mills.
Learn more about the Historic Watermill …